Sunday, 11 October 2009

Star Block

I actually made it to my sewing table today! I'm known for my applique more than my patchwork, but today was all patchwork and I had fun. I wanted to make a star block for my tree skirt. Why? Because I know not everyone likes to applique like me so I decided it would be great to add the option of a block in my Tree Skirt online class for those who want to do that. (Find out more about the class here >>)

Well for Christmas I thought, a star would be a good thing to make. So I got carried away like usual and make five stars instead of one, just couldn't help myself. So here is the first star. It's a 9" finished block.



One large star is just not my thing, I need more of a challenge than that! I decided I should add some smaller stars in the corners of the large star. So I did. Each small star block is 3" finished.



That's some pretty small pieces don't you think? Okay, so I got thinking. Now that can be a dangerous thing for me, but I did anyway. What if I made a star in the center square of my 3" star? Good thought? Hmmmmmm, okay so I wasn't going to start over because time was running out, but I just had to try it. After all, it is only a one inch star, I couldn't waste too much fabric on that. Worked great!

I had to take the photo so close to fill up my camera screen that you can even see the grain in the fabric. This was fun for sure. So tell me, what's the smallest star you've made?

Those star points are just 1/4", I wonder if I could do 1/8"....

Subscribe to this blog
Arbee Designs on Facebook

No comments: